Monday, May 28, 2012

my week in pictures

Well, it's been a full week since I've posted anything so I'm going to attempt to sum up my week with a few photos!


Last Sunday (5/20)
We went on a little bike ride to the park to play some frisbee and well long story short this happened when 2 bikes got too close:
one week later and it still looks just as bad.

Monday (5/21)
Workout: Easy Run 
Treadmill 44mins, Incline 1.0
4 miles 416 calories

This was one awful run.  I made some bad choices earlier on in the evening and severely paid for it during my run.  I will NEVER go to burger night and then try and do a run an hour later.  It was horrible.  I even had to get off the treadmill and puke about 2 miles in.  Greasy burgers and running do not mix well for me.  So from now on it's one or the other!  BUT I did still manage to complete my 4 miles.  Mainly because I knew I was already half way done so I wanted to get it done and over with and not have to make it up from square one another day!

Tuesday (5/22)
Rest Day.  After Monday night I was still feeling pretty crappy about my run so I decided to take today off and go test drive some cars.  We went to a VW dealership and I drove a few Jettas.  I really liked them.  Anyone ever own one??  Got any feedback for me??

And here's a look at what I worked on all week, tab shoes:


Wednesday (5/23)
Workout: Easy Run
Oustide 3.1 miles
32 mins 400 calories

I wore this:

A little keepsake from my Flying Pig Half Marathon.  You can't see it all that great but it has wings on the back and a little swirly pig tail.  So obviously I felt super fast running with wings on my back.  Not.

Thursday (5/24)
Workout: XT (well was supposed to XT but I still ran 2 miles...on the treadmill, in 20 mins, burning 219 calories)

Strength
45 mins with Damian (trainer)
We went over so much during this time!  Lots of simple moves that I can double up on and work arms and legs at the same time.  Then the second half of my workout was spent on the TRX Suspension Training Equipment.  One word to sum it up: intense.  Read more about it here.  Basically we did all these moves: rows, squats, lunges, pikes, mountain climbers, pushups, etc while being suspended in the air.  Makes you work that much harder.  And let me tell you I was SOOOOO sore afterwards!  I could barely walk to my car.  And even more sore the entire next day.  I hurt places that I didn't know were able to hurt!  So overall, I felt like a complete spaz trying out some of the moves but I think it's totally worth it to feel the way I felt afterwards.  I mean something must've been working right and maybe this is what I need to build up more strength.  So hopefully I'll be able to incorporate this into my workouts at least once a week for now.  That is if I can muster up the balls to go to the gym and try it on my own :/

Then to celebrate my awesome night of working out we headed over to Cafe Hollander and sipped on one of these:
Strawberry Ginger Crush   8.25
Three Olives vanilla vodka, fresh strawberries, ginger beer, and lime

It was pretty good.  Very sweet so I can't imagine having more than one.  But perfect summery drink to sip on while sitting outside on their patio.

Friday (5/25)
Rest Day.  So sore.  Could barely walk normal.  No exercise for me.  But I did manage to enjoy a little of this:
Non-Fat Island Banana swirled with Dutch Chocolate Fro Yo
with fresh Strawberries and a few Choco Chips

DELICIOUS.  If you haven't been to Yo Mamas yet go right now.  I'm so glad it's warm out and Yo Mamas is right down the street :)

Saturday (5/26)
Workout: Easy Run
Treadmill 45 mins, Incline 0
416 calories 4.16 miles

I was still hurting from Thursday and not looking forward to this run.  I was not looking forward to it even more when I woke up and it was pouring out cause I knew that I'd have to run it inside.  But I did it.  And it was tough.  I didn't even add any incline cause my legs felt so heavy as is.  Really beginning to question this whole run-13-miles thing...

Sunday (5/27)
Rest Day.  Pool Day.  Sister Sleepover Day.

Here's what Mal and I made for dinner:
Grilled Corn Orzo Salad with Chili Lime Vinaigrette

I got the recipe from Iowa Girl Eats a really cool blog with some great nutritional recipes.  Check it out!
Ingredients (serves 6)
  • 1 cup orzo, uncooked
  • 2 ears sweet corn
  • 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 avocado, chopped
  • 1/4 small red onion, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped basil
For the Chili Lime Vinaigrette:
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • Salt & pepper
Instructions
  • Cook orzo in a large pot of salted, boiling water until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
  • Shuck corn then grill for 5-6 minutes, rotating every minute or so to evenly char on all sides. Let cool slightly, then cut kernels off the cob.
  • Combine cooked orzo and corn kernels with tomatoes, avocado, red onion, and basil in a large bowl and stir to combine.
  • For the Chili Lime Vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and whisk to combine. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Serve chilled, or at room temperature.
And after dinner we watched The Vow.  Total chick flick.  Kinda wished it would've ended a bit differently though.


Monday (5/28) HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!
Workout: "Easy" Run
Outside 5.2 miles
60 mins 519 calories


This was everything BUT easy.  I was dy-ing.  It was already 81 degrees out at 8AM this morning so I knew it was going to be a bit brutal.  But that was an understatement.  It was pretty horrific.  I thought I was going to die of heatstroke and have to call my sister to come scrape me up off the sidewalk.  I ended up stopping 4 times to walk!  Every time I completed a mile, I'd stop and walk for about 2 minutes which felt very necessary.  I don't think I've ever sweat so much in my life.  Sweat even more than I do after a 90 min Bikram Yoga session!  I took a pic after my run was complete but I'm not going to post it.  It's so nasty and I don't want to succumb you guys to that.  So now I'm definitely having second thoughts about this half marathon.  I mean I think I can do it but I think it's gonna take me FOREVER!  I don't feel fast at all.  Especially not in these hot temps.  It's crazy how my training now is so night and day from what it was before.  Before I was running in Feb-Mar-April which has pretty ideal running temps and now for the first time ever I'm running in 80+ degree temps.  Not a very easy thing to do.  So lets hope that I become a morning runner sooner than later cause I think that's going to be key at keeping up with my training.  There's no way I'll be able to do mid-morning/afternoon runs for much longer.  Anyone have any tips for working out in these hot temps??  Do you run with water??  Take walk breaks??  Find yourself running slower than you thought was possible??  I need some advice.  Bad.  


On a plus note, after my run I spent a few relaxing hours on a boat:
Me & Elly.  On a boat.  In a parking lot.

That was definitely much more enjoyable than my morning "run."  

How did you guys spend your Memorial Day weekend?  



2 comments:

  1. Hi Megs,

    I test drove a Jetta Sports Wagen TDI last month, but your A. Linda did not want a "wagen". So, we test drove the Touareg and almost bought it however we did not end up purchasing a VW. They are great cars, a little different handling than the asian imports we have been driving for the past few years. The VW dealer here had a 3-year maintenance plan included in the price. Happy car seaching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! So far I feel like I've been getting pretty positive feedback from all VW owners. That's definitely my top contender at this point of my search! Thanks :)

      Delete