Sunday, June 3, 2012

well this is embarrassing....

So it's about time for another weekly post for me and well I'm a bit embarrassed that I don't have too many workouts to talk about!  And by not too many I mean I only have done one other run since my last post...last Monday...ugh.  To quickly recap, I ran 5 miles last Monday and then I ran 4 miles last Wednesday.  And that was it.  I was super busy all week long that I struggled to fit in any other work outs.  However, my being busy included a lot of physical labor so even though I wasn't at the gym I still woke up feeling quite sore a few mornings.  And to be completely honest with you.  I definitely had the time to do my 6 miler this weekend but I was soooo exhausted that I just couldn't do it.  Just the thought of running wore me out.  In the end I still got 9 miles in this week which isn't awful.  But it is down 4 miles from the week before.  The way I justified it was that I just completed the first 5 weeks of my training program without missing a beat and it was time for a tiny break.  I've still got 16 weeks of training left so I don't want to overdo it too much too soon that I absolutely hate running by September 22nd.

BUT this week wasn't a complete wash.  Those of you lucky enough to be my facebook friends already are aware of this but my Wednesday workout was super momentous- I WORKED OUT BEFORE WORK!!  4 MILES AT 5:30AM!  I've only gotten up to run before work 2 other times that I can think of.  And that was just to run some 2 milers.  This whole getting up early and working out thing definitely was not easy.  And I don't think I was very prepared.  I knew I wasn't going to be able to run after work at all last week so if I wanted to run it had to be done in the morning.  I didn't eat anything pre-workout because to me that meant getting up even earlier to prepare food.  And I paid for that almost a mile into my workout.  I felt like I was running on empty cause I basically was.  Do any of you morning exercisers have any tips for me??  What do you eat?  How soon do you work out after you eat?  Do you plan your entire workout out the night before or do you just wing it?  I didn't care for getting up early to run very much but I did love going on with the rest of my day not having to worry about working out later on!  So because of this, I'm going to attempt to keep doing at least 2 workouts before work every week.  Plus I think this will help me get into the mindset of running at earlier hours of the morning since the Half Marathon starts pretty early.

Because I didn't spend much time working out this past week, here are some things I did enjoy:
My sweet niece, Ava, Graduated from Kindergarten!

Spotted this at a local Fire Department.  Totally had to do a double take at first glance.

Enjoyed a Sushi Dinner w/Mal and my mom where Mal informed me that she still carries around pictures of my friends in her purse (their Christmas Card!)...stalker like tendencies....watch out ladies!
;)

A nice Saturday morning stroll to the Tosa Farmer's Market.

Brunch at La Reve w/my mom and sister.

Food Truck spotted in Tosa.  Hmm.

Saw our friend at the pool!  Bottom pic is Summer 2011.  Top pic is NOW.  Yikes.

Took a post-pool nap with Donnie.

And no pics to share but I also had a lovely dinner w/my mom, Mal and Lolo and Lola at Texas Roadhouse on Saturday as well as another great dinner with Kara and Kristi tonight.  

So overall I had a great week.  Super busy but loved every minute of it.  

And I'm definitely planning on getting back on track with my workouts starting tomorrow.  Here's a quick glimpse at what I'm hoping my week will entail:
*2 mile easy run
*XT
*4 mile speed work
*2 mile easy run/Strength
*6-7 mile long run

How about you guys?  Any big plans/goals for the week?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Megs,

    Congrats on keeping up with your workouts, not to mention your busy work schedule, spoke to your mom today and she brought me up to date on whats going on.

    I admire that you have stuck to your training schedule and you do deserve a break to let your body heal and recovery. As you know I am a morning workout person, if it does not happen in the morning, it usually will not happen at all. Personally, I need at least an hour after I wake up before I head out for a run. I need to make sure that I do not pull a "marten" when I am out on the roads running. I usually have a banana or toast w/ peanut butter before I work out, plus a couple glasses of water.

    June 6 is National Running Day, so adjust your workout schedule if possible and enjoy your run that day. It is also the day that I will sign up for the San Antonio RnR marathon being held on Nov 11. They usually discount the registration fee $26 in honor of NRD. Also, I had a $20 groupon for $100 worth of training with Team in Training. I have decided for my 2nd marathon that I need the assistance of a group to keep my focus, increase conditioning and improve my time.

    Do you run with a watch or iphone? I use a Garmin GPS watch w/ a heart monitor, it helps keep track of my times, distances, calories, etc. Ironically, my best half-maraton time was the Green Bay race when I did not use a watch.

    Long enough now, I gotta to get to bed since I have my alarm set for 3:45am!

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice message Uncle Ger! I do run with my phone. I use the RunKeeper app and it seems to be pretty on with what I check on mapmyrun.com. I would love to get a Garmin but I'm not ready to drop that kind of money yet!! So if you ever hear of any good deals or sales let me know and then I'll look more into it!

    I can't even imagine having to get up an hour before I actually even begin my workout! I'm SO not a morning person as I'm sure you're aware. Running in the AM is a huge challenge for me. But one I'm hoping to overcome! While training for my last Half I would usually eat the same as you- toast w/pb or a banana. So now that you reminded me of that I'm going to try and do that before any sort of early runs. When running longer distances do you take any gels or gummies during your run??

    And yes, Happy Running Day! I'm glad we both were able to get good 4-milers in today!

    Also, congrats on signing up for a MARATHON!!! That's awesome. Something I cannot even fathom at the moment. And definitely a good move on joining a Team in Training. I'm curious to see how that goes and if you feel like it's a major benefit to improving your running abilities.

    Ok, time for some dinner. Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete