Sunday, June 17, 2012

do you know who your emergency responders are?

The highlight of my work week definitely happened this past Friday.  Our Loss Prevention Team held a Corn Roast over the lunch hour where we could meet our local emergency responders: firemen, police officers and EMTs.  These photos pretty much sum up the hour:
 Corn=Amaaazing.  We had the option to make Mexican Style Corn- mayo, butter, salt, parmesan cheese & a limey-red pepper like seasoning.  I had everything but the mayo and def would do this again!

Vanessa, Molly, 2 of our local Firemen and myself.

Ohh heyy V!  

Molly fully suited and ready to put out some fires!

My first time in the back of a Milwaukee Police Car.  And hopefully the last time!

I'm guessing people usually aren't this happy looking when "getting arrested."
Another first for me (and hopefully last!).  

Everyone we met were super friendly and definitely team players.  It takes a lot to distract us over the lunch hour and keep us from eating (thank goodness for that corn on the cob!).  I should also note that we talked with the Forensics Photographer.  It was pretty interesting considering they were visiting a photo studio.  He didn't seem to think it was that funny though when we asked him if he was looking for a stylist to work with...

Here are a few other pics from my Friday O'Fun!

Saud (an Art Director I work with) and I tend to (unintentionally) coordinate our outfits every now and then.  Here we are a few weeks ago:
Ketchup & Mustard

This past Fri in our bright blue pants!

Friday night kicked off HartFest so Katie, Elly, Bryan and I decided to pay a visit to King Solomon:

The rest of my week was filled with some of this from 9-5, M-F:

John, the videographer & Jen, the handbag model
This is what you actually see online if you opt to watch a product video of a handbag.  

Then post 5PM it was filled with this:
My Website! (still in progress)

My AWESOME brother is building my website for me and last week we made HUGE progress.  I should note that I've had my domain for over a year and a half so this is a big deal to actually have images and functioning galleries up.  Thanks for all your hard work Aar!  I really, really appreciate it.  And soon enough it'll be complete and I won't have to annoy talk to you on a daily basis :)  And if anyone needs a website, def get in touch with my brother!

And of course the rest of my time was spent workin' on my fitness.  I had a great week of work outs for the crappy mood I was in.  I did NOT want to work out at all last week but forced myself to do all my scheduled work outs.  

Monday:
Easy Run 2 miles
Treadmill, Elevation 1.0
20 mins, 220 calories

Walk Hills .6 miles
Treadmill, Elevation 1.0-8.0
10 mins, 60 calories

Stair Stepper .5 miles
16 mins, 117 calories

These 2 miles weren't so bad.  So much so that I decided to keep at it and walk some hills and climb some steps making for a pretty productive Monday night.  I think it wore me out cause after I got home and showered I passed out on the couch by 8 PM!  This was not good though since I had to start getting my images together for my website.  So needless to say once I woke up from my cat nap, it made for a pretty late night.  

Tuesday:
XT Bike 12 miles
Rolling Hills, Level 7
45 mins, 320 calories (3:45/mile pace)

Not going to lie, I was feeling super lazy (regarding working out) today and really did not want to go to the gym.  The only way I justified going to the gym was by telling myself I'll do a bike ride for my day of Cross Training since that meant I got to stay seated the entire time!  No joke.  It works every time I'm not feeling up for a work out.  Staying seated and all I still ended up having a pretty good, sweaty ride and was able to beat my goal of riding under 4 min/miles.

Wednesday:
Tempo Run
Treadmill, Elevation 1.0
5 miles, 53 minutes, 558 calories

I was dreading today's run more than my 2 previous work outs mainly because I didn't want to run but especially because I didn't want to run 5 miles.  And to be honest with you, I'm still not sure how I actually made it to the gym.  I even sat in my car, in the parking lot, hoping someone would call me that minute and have some major plans for me.  But that didn't happen so I checked out my i.TV app and saw that "A Cinderella Story" was playing, jolted out of my car, changed into my workout clothes, got on that treadmill and turned on ABC Family.  I proceeded to run 5 pretty consistent miles without many problems.  In fact, I didn't even stop to walk at all until after mile 3.  And that was just for a couple minutes to check my heart rate and then I was able to strongly finish my last mile.  Lesson of the night: when all else fails, ABC Family will prevail!

Thursday:
Easy Run 2 miles
Treadmill, Elevation 1.0
2.3 miles, 23 minutes, 239 calories

Surprise, surprise I didn't want to work out again today!  And I was feeling pretty sore from going at it pretty intensely the past 3 days so today I told myself all I had to do was get in there, run 2 quick miles and then I could leave.  And that's exactly what I did.  Then I burned a few extra calories power shopping at Kohl's with my Friends & Family extra 20% off!  I guess I wouldn't really call it "power shopping" since all I got was a pair of clearance JLo Sunglasses for $6, a new beach towel for $5 and a hat for $10.  But I was proud of my finds and in Kohl's terms I saved like $178!  Ha.  

Friday:
REST DAY

Saturday:
REST DAY

Decided to sleep in a little today and by the time I woke up I didn't have it in me to try and hammer out 7 miles in the 80 degree+ humidity, so I didn't.  Instead I had a lovely day seeing Madagascar 3, eating at Cafe Hollander and had a few Summer Shandys with some very recently engaged friends! 

Sunday:
Long Run
3 miles outside, 33 mins, 371 cals
4 miles treadmill, elevation 1.0, 44 mins, 459 cals
TOTAL: 7 miles! 77 mins, 830 calories

I can't believe I actually ran today.  I honestly didn't think it was going to happen and then I'd have to come on here with some elaborate excuse as to why it's ok that I didn't do my weekly long run.  BUT I did it.  Probably because I was regretting eating that chocolate brownie and cupcake at our Father's Day celebration...but whatever it was, as soon as I got home from spending the afternoon with the fam, I got my running clothes on hit the road...and the gym.  You guys are going to think I'm a huge dork (but I'm sure you've already thought that) but I knew tonight was Oprah's special with the Kardashians which I could not miss.  So I quickly got 3 miles in outside and then I hit the treadmill for the last 4 since while I watched Oprah grill the Kardashians.  And overall, my run went really well.  AND, I hit the half way hump!  It's all downhill from here right?!  I hope so...cause to be honest with you my last 3 miles felt better than my first 3 and I probably could've kept going if I had to tonight.  It 100% made a difference that I ran later in the night than early in the morning.  I've been saying all along that I'm a much better evening runner than a morning runner and that was proved true again tonight.  But the biggest thing was that there was a nice evening breeze and not just early morning sunshine and humidity.  How I'm going to ever overcome this, I do not know.  But it was so much more enjoyable to run in comfortable weather rather than in the humidity where sweat constantly is running into my eyes.  So keep the pointers coming if you guys have any!  How do I stay comfy during runs in hot temps?  Do you carry water with you while you run?  If so, how much do you drink?  

This week my work out sched looks very similar to this past week's with a mile add on to my long run. Yayyy....

Ok, well Happy Father's Day to all you amazing dads out there!  I hope everyone had a great weekend and an even better upcoming week!


1 comment:

  1. Megs,

    Unless the mini marathon is going to run on a treadmill at the gym, I think you need to get out of your comfort zone and face the heat and humidity. You can handle it. Yes, it is important to stay hydrated, you can either carry a water bottle with you, or a belt w/ small water bottles attached to it, or even a camelbak. They have some water bottles that strap to your hand, some are even insulated. Try to simulate the course water stops, usually every 2-3 miles. Google the appropriate amount of water or fluids needed to replenish while exercising. Hope this help.

    ReplyDelete