Monday, May 14, 2012

broken rules.

Over the last few days I broke many of my personal rules.  Beginning with Friday.  My ultimate rule of "no working out on Fridays" was shattered around the 1 o'clock hour.  But for good reasons.  I was going to be out of town the rest of the weekend and wanted to be sure I got my long run for the week done.  So I took a half day and as soon as I got home logged my first 5 mile run in a loooooong time.  And not going to lie, it was tough.  Felt like I was out there for a lot longer than 5 miles.  And because of this the thought of 13 miles sounds quite terrifying.  Here's a quick summary:

Workout: Long Run
Outside 58 mins
5.2 miles 657 calories (according to my RunKeeper App)

Part of the reason I think it was a crappy run was because mentally I wasn't into it.  I was trying to get it done because I knew I needed to get home, pack, shower, get ready, call friends, eat, get on the road, etc.  And it was warm out.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the warm weather but I'm not fully adapted to running in it.  This is something I hope to quickly adapt to since the majority of my training is going to be done over the Summer months.  Luckily it looks like the warm weather will be sticking around this week so let the adapting begin!!

Broken rule #2:  I did an awful job at eating on Friday...I had 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast and then didn't eat again til almost 8 o'clock that evening.  I was so rushed earlier on that I just didn't get a chance to do it!  And after a 5 miler I was running on empty.  But on the bright side, when I did eat it was delicious.  And it was spent with good company, my friends Katie and Kristy, at a BYOB Italian Restaurant in Chicago.

Broken Rule #3: Saturday was filled with lots of fun festivities.  We were in town for a Wedding Reception (we went to Cabo for their wedding this past Fall) that had an open bar and lots of yummy hors d'oeuvres.  But long story short, we definitely did not eat enough and ended up getting some late night McDonalds...but at least it was the Rock'n'Roll McDonalds...another Chicago first for me :)


Broken Rules #4&5: Sunday.  The Aftermath.  After a great weekend with great friends we began our trip home which began with ANOTHER stop at McDonald's for some egg mcmuffins and a Diet Coke.  Once we got home, we napped and then went to Red Robbins for bottomless baskets of fries and burgers.  Then we napped again and ORDERED PIZZA for dinner!!  For real.  No joking here.  And to be honest with you all, I didn't regret it that much.  Today I'm feeling it a little bit but it all tasted sooo good and I promise you I don't eat like that often.  Depending on your interpretation of the word "often"...

So that's it in a nutshell.  I'm getting back on the wagon today.  Starting now with a variation of my green juice:
6 kale leaves
1/2 cucumber
2 pears
1/2 lemon
4 celery sticks

AND even with all that crappy eating I did still manage to get all my workouts in for the week and logged 12 miles total.  Plus, I had tons of fun.  And that's what really matters right?!


No comments:

Post a Comment