Tuesday, December 28, 2010

S-S-S-Slacker!!

Christopher I titled this blog for you! Ha!  BTW, Christopher is another co-worker of mine who is an avid runner and gives me tons of moral support.  He also brings me his RunnersWorld Magazines when he's finished with them.  Christopher is my go-to guy for all my running questions/dilemmas/complaints/etc...so thank you Christopher for sharing some of your running knowledge with me!

So, yes, I have been slacking a bit.  It's been tough with the Holidays and all.  Not to mention I was incredibly sore for almost 2 days after my 7 miler.  My body ached places that I didn't know were capable of aching!  I couldn't even sleep at night since I hurt from my ankles all the way up to my shoulders.  So needless to say, I needed to take a few days off.

By Sunday I was having major remorse for not running and for all the food I had been eating the past week.  But at the same time I felt like I had zero energy to run.  And I can't believe I'm going to admit this but the only reason I did end up running on Sunday was because afterwards Brad and I were going to order a pizza!!  I figured if I were going to have pizza after all the food I had been eating the past few days then I needed to drag my butt out for a run.  And that's basically what happened.  I put my layers on and set out for a quick 2 mile Easy Run.  Yes, I know, 2 miles probably didn't even burn off the calories of one piece of pizza but it was better than not running at all!  Overall the run was mediocre.  I kept a pretty slow and steady pace and finished it within 20 minutes of starting.

Then I took Monday off and continued my food frenzy (had waaaay too much sushi with Mal and Catie!) instead.

Today I had a scheduled Speed Workout with Ms. Katie.  I know I needed to do this and somewhere deep down inside I wanted to do this but in all honesty, I was dreading the thought of running all day long.  But of course I did it since I made a commitment.  And it sucked.  Katie planned what she calls a "easy" workout since she said I shouldn't push myself too much with my race coming up on Friday.

Our Workout
1 Mile Warm-Up
1 Mile of Accelerators (sprint at 50%, 75% & 100%)
1 Mile Cool Down

I know it shouldn't have been that difficult but it was ROUGH.  I just couldn't get into it and couldn't keep my speed up.  I'm definitely not a sprinter!  I felt exhausted, sluggish and was panting out of breath almost the entire time.  I couldn't even carry a good conversation at the beginning and end cause I felt so tired.

Hopefully I just had an "off" couple of days.  I think once all the Holiday sweets disappear at home and at work I'll start feeling a lot better.  I'm definitely nervous for my first official 10K this Friday, especially with my not-so-great last couple of runs but I'm trying to keep positive about it.  My goal is going to be to complete the entire run without walking which I feel pretty confident I can do.  The weather here is supposed to be crazy for December- a high of 48 degrees!- which is definitely a plus and the run starts at noon so I don't need to be up and at 'em super early.

Well, I most likely won't write til after the race on Friday so...until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment