Sunday, December 19, 2010

Back On the Wagon!

After a brutal run last Sunday and 5 days off of running, I've jumped back on the wagon!  I know, I shouldn't have taken 5 whole days off but I just couldn't bring myself to run in the negative temperatures we had early on last week.  Then Wednesday we had to cancel our Speed Workout so that was 2 missed runs for me.  BUT to redeem myself a little bit, I did do some cross training last week- Pilates one night and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD another night.  It felt good to get some strength training in and it made me not feel as bad for skipping out on my runs!

So yesterday (Saturday) was my first run outdoors in almost a week!  I was planning on just doing my 2 mile Easy Run to ease back into things and ended up doing just under 3 miles.  It was day and night from my run last weekend!  No icy streets/sidewalks, no tumultuous winds and no rain/snow.  It was sunny and a balmy 14 degrees out there.  I should also note that Friday night was my friend's Holiday Party so that was another reason I was really preparing myself for another brutal run.  Surprisingly, I enjoyed it.  It was really peaceful and easy compared to my last couple runs outside.  No big revelations were had during this run but I definitely needed this to help me get into it again.

Because I had such a pleasant running experience Saturday, when I woke up and saw the sun shining today I decided to go on another run.  Brad wanted to go do some Antiquing so I decided to do a 20 minute Hill Workout that I saw on runnersworld.com this past week.

My Workout:
1 mile warm up
Run up the hill, walk for 60 seconds, run back down the hill and repeat 3 times

It was a quick, simple routine that wore me out!  Running hills are supposed to help increase my strength so we'll see what kind of results I see in a few weeks.  I'm gonna try and do hills at least one time a week adding another repetition each week.

With my week off, busy schedule and the holidays approaching I'm planning on trying to keep up with my running by doing more of these 20 minute workouts from runnersworld.com,  especially ones to increase my speed, strength and endurance.  Then I still want to try and fit in my 7 miler one of these days.  Hopefully before my first 10K which is only a week from Friday!!

Oh!  And my outfits!  Very similar to what I normally wear when running outside:
Running tights
Windbreaker Pants
Tall Socks
Dri fit tank
L/S dri fit shirt
Lightweight hoodie
Fleece
Dri fit hat- Saturday and Headband- Sunday
Gloves
Shoes

Alright, my apologies for my brief running hiatus.  I'm just not hardcore enough yet for the negative temps...maybe one of these days!  I'll be better this week, I promise.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment