Sunday, July 22, 2012

I need your advice.

Well another week down.  9 more to go.  And I don't know if I can do it.  For realz.  I'm getting really, really sick of running.  Mainly cause I don't think I've gotten any better at it since I started running more regularly 12 weeks ago.  I need some pointers.  What do you do when you feel as if you've hit a wall?  


Here's a look at my week:

Monday
Rest Day

After my long run the day before I took Monday off.  Mainly because I had Wiffle Ball again tonight and by the time I'm done with it, it's too dark to run.  BUT I did say "no" to burger night tonight and that was tough.  I figure I can't really afford to making it a habit but more of an every other week or every few weeks kinda deal.  On a good note though, we won our game!  Woo hoooo!  We even had another home run.  The Chickens beat those Ducks probably because we were feeding the other team mojitos out of a bucket...out of the back of the truck...Oh well, whatever works!

Tuesday
Easy Run
Outside 3.5 miles
36 mins, 454 cals

Tuesdays are shaping up to be my morning run days.  I've got a nice little route down and tend to even see some familiar faces walking and running at the same time as me.  And let me tell you, morning exercisers are the most polite people ever.  They wave, they smile, they say good morning- such a pleasant way to start your day.

Again, it felt great to get my workout in first thing in the morning.  But I was STARVING all morning long.  Also, got a bit tired in the afternoon.  Had to have a little more coffee than I normally do.  Which was a lifesaver cause I had a late night that evening!

That evening I went to see a Broadway Touring show, Billy Elliot, with these ladies.
Molly, Elly and I

The show was ah-maaazing!  I loved it.  Such a great story and such a talented cast.  Especially since the lead is a little boy who carries the show through his powerful dances.  I highly recommend seeing it if it's ever in your area.

Some fun at intermission:




Here's a more civilized pic of Elly and me:

Wednesday
Easy Run
Outside.  Pooring Rain.  3 miles
30 mins, 350 cals

I was pooped today.  Stayed up way too late for a School Night on Tuesday.  This meant lots more of coffee today than usual and even a little cat nap for me during my lunch break.  Due to my excessive amount of being tired I had zero ambition to run.  So I went home, made dinner, chillaxed for a bit and then finally at 8PM I put my workout clothes on and hit the streets.  Which may not have been the brightest idea.  I got outside and it was awfully dark out for 8 but I began my run.  It was a nice evening out- warm but not too hot and there was a nice breeze.  Probably because there was a wicked storm brewing.  I got about a mile and a half into my run when it started sprinkling on me but I told myself I could manage a little rain since I only had to get in 3 miles and the rain felt somewhat refreshing.  But then it suddenly started down pouring!  I was pretty much stuck at this point.  I had to head home.  The next mile was a bit brutal especially near the end when my shoes were sliding all over the place cause the ground was so slick.  And I kept watching the strikes of lightning light up the sky all while wondering if I'd get struck since I was still listening to my music.  When I finally managed to get home, I was relieved.  I wanted to get out of my shoes and clothes which were completely soaked and felt like they weighed an extra 10lbs or so.  

In the end, I'm glad I got my run in and the rain added some excitement to it so I wasn't constantly thinking about how much I didn't want to be running at this time of the night.  

Looking good.  That t-shirt was soaked.  An entire 5 shades darker than normal.  
And yes, that t-shirt is from one of my High School plays.  
Just can't get rid of it.  

Thursday
Easy Run
Outside.  In the rain.  Again.
Short 1 miler and then some running drills with the run clinic.
60 mins

For some reason I stayed up super late last night.  Not sure if it was because I went for a run so late or if it was because of the 3 pots of coffee I drank.  But needless to say, it was another slow morning for me.  This evening however, I had signed up to attend a running clinic at the local Lululemon store which I was pretty excited for.  I figure that if I'm spending so much of my time running I better make sure I'm doing it correctly and at this point in my training I'll take any pointers I can.  I was hoping something would spark my curiousity and get me excited to run again.  Well, it didn't, for the most part.  I did learn some great things regarding running form, pace, posture, breathing, etc.  And walked away with some great drills and things I knew I needed to work on during my upcoming runs.  I also got a short run in (another one in the rain!).  And most importantly I met other runners who struggle with it just as much as I do.  The clinic was lead by a guy who was super knowledgable and way enthusiastic about running.  I really liked him and he made the mistake of giving me his business card to send him emails/texts about anything I have running-related.  Little does he know, he's about to get bombarded with my 3 pages of running inquiries.  A few of the workers there told me about The Sea Wheeze half marathon they were doing and the App for your phone you can download to help with your training.  The training schedule sounds a lot better than what I'm currently doing and I'm tempted to switch my training up even more now!  Since it's a Lululemon sponsored event it really incorporates different types of yoga in with running.  Has anyone ever tried something like this?  Did you find it beneficial?  Should I stray from Hal and give team Lululemon a whirl?  Right now my biggest thing is that I don't want to run 4-5 days a week but I feel like I have to or I won't be able to run the half.  Is 3 days of running ample enough to train for a half when coupled up with yoga?  

Friday
Rest day

We had another Sounds of Summer lunch event at work today.  Ryan McIntyre, a local Milwaukee musician, played and sang some great acoustic music for us.  
Ryan McIntyre

And to top off the festivities it was catered by Sazs
Their infamous delicious BBQ Pork.
and they even had a deep fryer on site to make their famous 
sour cream and chive fries!

Best.  Rest.  Day.  Ever.

Saturday
The day I've been dreading all week...long run day.  I knew I just had to get it done so I could go on with the rest of my weekend.  So after a trip to the local Farmer's Market I set out on my 8 miler.  And one way to excite myself about running was to split it up.  I ran 2.5 miles to the gym, 4 miles at the gym while I watched one of the greatest movies ever (StepUp) and then ran 1.5 miles home.  And this didn't feel all that bad.  Don't get me wrong, I didn't really enjoy it but I didn't want to die.  It probably helped that I haven't been to the gym in almost 2 weeks since I've been trying to do all my runs outside.  But it felt good to run on the treadmill with a fan blowing at me.  Plus my ankles and shins have been starting to ache a bit (which is a first for me- I haven't had any sort of running issues with my joints, etc.).  I did keep myself busy trying to work on the things I learned at Thursday night's clinic and instantly I noticed a few differences.  I'd frequently catch myself working on one area then noticing I was slacking on another area so it was nice to have 8 whole miles to try and remember everything that was said at the Clinic.  

Long Run
Inside 4 miles/Outside 4 miles
920 cals, 87 mins













No comments:

Post a Comment