Wednesday, July 18, 2012

busy bee.

Where did the week go!  Here I am one week later and I can barely remember what I ran last week...so bare with me here...I know I said I was going to get back on schedule...did I?  Yes.  Well, kinda.

Monday
Ended up being a sorta rest day...had all intentions of running but then realized my Wiffle Ball league started tonight!!  And well, that's a full evening commitment. This is our team's, Wisco's Chicken Guns & Rubbers, second year playing.  We had to meet at 5:30 to get our shirts (pics to come) and "practice" (aka get the mobile bar set up) before our 6 o'clock game.  Then we play 3 innings, "break" for 6, play another 3, and then go to Leffs for Burger night.  So in that time I managed to fit in some minor physical activity...I ran to first base twice and rode my bike to and from the game.

Tuesday
Started the day off on a much better note!  Got up and ran 3 miles at 6am!  Woo Hoooo!

Easy Run
Outside 3 miles
394 calories, 32 mins

It was hard to get up but it felt soooo good to have my run done before work.  I didn't have to stress about it all day long like usual.  The only negative thing about running in the AM was that I was STARVING all morning long.  Like more than usual.  Which is pretty bad.  Does this ever happen to you?  How do you compensate for the extra hunger pains??

Wednesday
Tried something new today.  And was pretty excited about it.  I needed a little switch up in my routine. I visited the local track for my first real speed work out of the season.  I decided to give my training schedule a little "make-over" and I adapted parts of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 and Intermediate training programs.  I mainly changed my Wednesday workouts to the Intermediate Speed/Tempo Runs rather than my past Tempo Run Schedule and altered the distances I'd be running on my long runs to those of Hal's recommendations.  Mainly because I'm getting burnt out.  And running 13 miles 3+ times before my actual half is unnecessary.  I'd rather go into the run excited to conquer that distance, refreshed and not completely sick of running.  I also added one more day of running a week to my current schedule.  So now, instead of 4 runs a week I'm going to attempt to do 5.  If I'm hurting, tired or mentally done with running for the week then I'm going to allow myself to do some cross training on that 5th day.  But I'm really, really going to try to get 5 days of exercise in each week.

the remainder of my training schedule.


Speed Workout
5x400s (2:06, 2:18, 2:19, 2:18, 2:09)
1 mi warm up & cool down

On a fun note, we had an Ace of Base/Mexican themed baby shower for one of our fellow stylists today.  Here's a snapshot from the luncheon:
Lea, the mom-to-be!


Thursday
Today I had another unexpected Rest day.  So much for what I talked about up above :/  BUT I do have another good reason for missing my work out.  I BOUGHT A NEW CAR!  Bye bye Civic, Helloooo Jetta :)  And if you've ever bought a car before, you know that it's a total time sucker.  I was there from right after work til after 10 o'clock that evening.  Without dinner.  Super lame.  You'd think car dealers would have food courts in them these days or at least offer to buy you some dinner since you are buying a car and all from them.  But in the end, I was super happy with my purchase.  And it wasn't a total impulse buy.  I had been looking and test driving and researching the car I bought well in advance.  It was just surprising leaving with it that night.
Byeee!

My new grown-up ride!

Sidenote: I was sore today from my speed workout and it felt good!  I could feel it in my core especially.  This is a good thing right?!

Friday
Aaand another Rest day it is!  I had all intentions of running Friday night but my plans quickly changed when Brad and Max wanted to go out for sushi.  Sorry but sushi will forever trump running in my book.

Saturday
Easy Run (while Max rode his bike)
Outside 3 miles
35 mins, 384 calories

Def had a leisure run with Max today.  We had to stop a few times for cars, to look at bugs and see if there were any ducks in the river but overall it was a nice, slow run.  Not to mention it was HOT again.    My other runs this week were in much better weather.  Tues morning it was only in the 60s which was AWESOME and then Wednesday evening it was warm but no 90 degree weather.  Our run ended at the Farmer's Market where I bought some more beets, arugula, tomatoes and ice cold apple cider.
Max's new friend.


Sunday
The day I had been dreading all week...long run day.

Long Run
Outside 6.5 miles
731 calories, too many minutes

This.  Was.  Brutal.  It was H-O-T.  As in upper 80s when I began running at 8:30AM.  I made some impromptu changes in my route on the go trying to find more shaded streets/sidewalks to run on.  I wanted to go for 7 miles but I was having such a crappy run that I headed home a half mile sooner.  I started off strong and then after mile 2, fell to pieces.  I was having to walk after that roughly every 8 mins or so.  By the midpoint of this run I wanted to give up running forever.  I wasn't enjoying it one bit.  And the distance wasn't bothering me, everything else was.  I felt heavy and it felt like I had to put so much extra energy into every step I was running because of this heavy feeling.  I couldn't catch my breath, I was thirsty, I was non stop sweating- it was just all around a bad run.  Yes, when I got home it felt good to have done something but I didn't feel one bit good about the running I had just done.  Seeing me you never would've guessed I've been training for a half marathon for about 10 weeks already.

These feelings were really making me second guess my beginning my training so early.  I'm really hoping that I'm just having a bad run week cause now my training matters.  And I have a long road ahead of me if I'm going to do this properly.

On a happy note: I've ran 145 miles to date since the beginning of my training period!

Once I got over my run, we headed to Ava's (my adorable niece) 6th birthday party for a day in the sun, some BBQ and quality family time.  A perfect little Sunday.  Check out this amazing dessert I brought: Funfetti Cake Dip from 'Eat Yourself Skinny.'  It was a huge hit!  And so easy to make.  All while being somewhat low cal for a dessert.
Only has 3 ingredients too!

My stud of a nephew, Owen.

And the birthday girl, Ava :)

Hope you all had a great weekend.  Here's a quote I enjoyed from my bottle of iced tea:





No comments:

Post a Comment