Saturday, April 30, 2011

Here Goes Nothing!

Well folks, it's hard to believe that 4 whole months have already come and gone.  The aches, the pains, the blisters, the headaches it's been a long ride but finally, tomorrow I'll be running in my first Half Marathon!!!

I do have to say I did a pretty good job at sticking to my training program with the exception of the last week.  I haven't done a run since Monday- this is the most consecutive days I've taken off from running in about 5 months.  I did my last long run, a 12 miler, exactly one week ago and I actually felt pretty good about it.  By now I've learned that running is such a mental game.  Once you can wrap your head around the idea of running sooo far for sooo long it's not that bad.  It also probably helped that I did my long run on the nicest day we had out in about a week so it felt great to be outside.  I also derailed from my planned route a bit when I found a gorgeous, quaint little park complete with running paths around a chain of ponds.  Then once I left the park I happened to take a wrong turn and made my run a tad bit longer than I actually needed it to be, but again, it felt so good to just be outside.  I've also learned to try not to think about my time so much.  I think it ends up just slowing me down!  So, this being my FIRST Half Marathon, I'm going to concentrate on just finishing it in one piece and not try and meet any crazy times.  I'll save that for my second and third Halfs :)

So here I sit, in Cincinnati, the night before the Flying Pig Marathon.  I've been in town visiting my mom and Chris for 2 days now and the nerves/excitement/anticipation of Sunday has been eating me alive!  I'm obsessed with the Weather Channel app (prob have been for the past month now) and stalk Cincinnati's weather like no other.  Not looking so good.  That's all I have to say.  At 5AM there's a 60% chance of rain and thunderstorms...and the chances are only supposed to increase and the morning goes on...eeeeeeek!  So needless to say, I've been trying to mentally pump myself up for how FUN it's going to be to run 13.1miles in the rain for 2+ hours!!  Ha.  But seriously, sounds like a blast right?! :/

While I've been here I've enjoyed partaking in the Flying Pig Festivities.  I went to the Health and Fitness Expo twice.  Got my registration packet which included a personalized bib, timing chip, coupon book, "Run the Pig" poster, technical tee, and souvenir backpack.  At the expo I also ended up getting a souvenir t-shirt, 13.1 sticker, pair of Runner Girl running shorts and my mom bought me a "Flying Pigs of Cincinnati" book.  Then I also got lots of other free stuff like pig tattoos, chapstick, udder cream, larabars, water bottles, cereal, reusable bags, aquaphor, gummy vitamins, stickers and home made princess crowns.  Overall, I enjoyed my first pre-race expo.  The event was nicely organized and fairly easy to meander through.

Here's a pic of the registration swag:


Then this morning as sort of a half marathon warm-up I walked/jogged the Flying Pig 5K with my mom.  And this was her first organized run/walk event ever!  So proud!  Here's a pic of us at the "Finish Swine"!
It's been a great weekend thus far and my mom's preparing us a carb-o-licious meal right now!  Then it's to bed I go since I'll be having to get up at 4:30 tomorrow morning...

My brother, Aaron, and his girlfriend, Catie, are here to run their first half as well.  So keep your fingers crossed and wish us all luck.  We're gonna need it while running in a rainstorm!

I'll be sure to write an entry summarizing what happens tomorrow.

So until next time!!

1 comment:

  1. What a journey you've made. Of course I am very proud of you. I know you will do well. Love you.

    ReplyDelete