Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mission...Possible?!?

I know, I know, it's been awhile since I've blogged and I'm sure you all are thinking that means I've fallen off the wagon again and well, that's semi true.  After my last 10K I did decide to take an entire week off of running.  Last Monday I did 'Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred' and thought it'd be good to do that every day last week BUT that plan quickly changed when Brad decided to take the laptop to Madison with him that had the DVD inside it.  So then I looked at it as a sign to just recover mentally and physically for a week and get geared up for some real training (half marathon in May!!!).

I'm going to start following a 'Half Marathon Training Schedule' beginning in February so until then I'm going to keep up with my current schedule: at least 3 runs a week (easy, speed work/hills, long weekend run) AND in addition to these runs I've finally joined a gym so I'll be doing some cross training hopefully at least another 2 days a week. 

Now an update on my week.  So far this week I've ran twice and did the Insanity Fit Test. 

Sunday I did a nice little 3 miler.  I eased into it at a pretty slow pace since I had been off for an entire week and was worried  that the run was going to kick my a**.  The first mile was really difficult.  It was 16 degrees out, sunny and there was a fresh light blanket of snow on the ground.  So I didn't know if I was going to make it for 3 whole miles.  After mile one, I walked for a song and then I felt good and was able to run the rest of the way.  Towards the end I was feeling real good and even added on a lap up the hill! 

Monday I did the Insanity Fit Test.  It's about a 25 minute cardio work out testing 8 different levels of physical fitness.  Brad and I did the Insanity with Shaun T videos last year around this time and they're such good work outs that I thought maybe I'd start doing them every once in awhile as some cross training.  It's sad to admit this but Tuesday I woke up sore just from doing the Fit Test!  I guess I worked some muscles that haven't got much action the last few months. 

Tuesday night I decided to do my hill repeats that I wrote about a few weeks ago AND I was able to add 1 extra lap up the hill!  It was extremely difficult though cause we were in the middle of a snow storm and the sidewalk leading up the hill was only half shoveled.  It was tiring and my thighs were burning but after it was all done I felt good about it. 

One last change I've made this week is finally being more attentive to my diet.  I went to the grocery and bought healthy things that I can make for lunch every week as well as a few nutritious snack options.  Then at night I'm trying to stick with meat or fish and a vegetable.  When possible I'm going to try and stay away from eating carbs at night.  Now, don't get me wrong there will still be nights that I'll probably opt for pasta, tacos or sushi but I will vow to watch my portions.  I think just getting in the habit of eating more balanced meals throughout the day should help me out. 

As the new year begins, I'm feeling good and excited about the changes to my lifestyle.  A few more days of working out and eating better can only do good things for me.  This new mission of mine I believe is very possible to accomplish.

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. way to get back on the wagon, hermana. Catie and I started our half marathon training and I can't figure out why we did this because I don't enjoy running at all... Well hopefully it will become more tolerable soon. I think I'll get my blog up so you can keep track of my slacking, too. hasta luego

    ReplyDelete